Beginner Chalk Painting – Start Here
Best Tips For Using Chalk Mineral Paint For Furniture & Home Décor
It’s no secret that I love to use Chalk Mineral Paint in my furniture and home décor makeovers! In fact I love it so much that I chose to start this blog to share this passion with others! So, to begin let’s talk about Chalk Mineral Paint Basics.
Chalk Mineral Paints paved the way for a whole new world of furniture flipping and design, from simple color changes to fancy decorative techniques and touches. Honestly it makes it easy for anyone to update an old piece of furniture without the huge prep work that normal latex and hardware store paints required.
So let’s talk about the basics of using Chalk Paints so you can get started on your project, whether it is your first or your next project!
This page contains some affiliate links: If you click a link and make a purchase I may receive a small commission but at no extra cost to you!! And I appreciate your support of my blog! You can find my full disclosure policy here.
Prep For Chalk Mineral Paint Application
Why is the prep so important you might ask? And why is it worthy of its own category? Well, prepping your furniture project properly is so very important. Your paint will adhere better, go on smoother, and last longer if you start with a clean, properly prepared paint surface!
Read below for helpful tips on proper furniture prep for your chalk mineral paint project makeover!
- Prepping By Stripping Paint: How To Strip Furniture with Citristrip Orange Paint Stripping Gel
- Sanding Furniture For Chalk Mineral Paint: How To Get a Smoother Finish With Chalk Mineral Paint
- Chalk Mineral Paint Primer: When To Prime Before Chalk Mineral Paint Application
Chalk Mineral Paint Supplies
There are so many chalk mineral paint supplies on the market. But you don’t need everything to get started. Start with basic supplies and work up from there if you love furniture painting.
Believe me, it won’t be long until you accumulate more supplies than you know what to do with!
- My Top Ten List of Chalk Mineral Paint Supplies
Tips For Success With Chalk Mineral Paint
Below I’ve linked some helpful posts on tips and techniques to help you avoid the mistakes most beginner chalk mineral painters make! While I certainly don’t have all the answers, I’ve learned some things along the way that I can share with you on your furniture painting journey!
- Five Tips for Success With Chalk Mineral Paint
- Basics of Chalk Mineral Paint Furniture Makeovers
- Chalk Mineral Paint Project Planning: Tips for Planning Your Next Makeover
Chalk Mineral Paint Finishes: Protecting Your Makeover Project With Poly TopCoats & Wax
Just like the prep work is so important, the finishes or topcoats are also important. Your beautifully painted project will last longer if it is protected from scratches, dings, and stains by a topcoat or wax. I’ve listed a few helpful resources on how I choose the finishes for my projects.
- Chalk Mineral Paint TopCoats: How to Choose Between Wax Versus Poly TopCoats
- Chalk Mineral Paint For Upholstery? Yes, You Can Paint Upholstery With Chalk Mineral Paint
- BIN Shellac Based White Primer
- Cling On S50 and S30 Brushes are some of my favorites
- Dixie Belle Synthetic Mini angle, Flat Medium, and Oval Medium are some of my favorites
- Dixie Belle BOSS Primer in White, Gray, or Clear
- Dixie Belle ClearCoat in Satin is my most used topcoat but I also like
- Wise Owl Satin Varnish & Wise Owl Matte Varnish
Chalk Mineral Painting can be fun and it can be addictive. The resources listed above can help get you started with this creative art form. Chalk Mineral Painting is a great outlet for stress and it is a great way to update older furniture and décor items in your home to make them “new to you”!
If you have any questions about any of the resources listed please don’t hesitate to let me know.
Send me an email or a DM on Instagram! I’d love to hear what you are working on!