Get ready to dive in and learn all about Dixie Belle Best Dang Wax! If you’re a fan of chalk mineral paint and furniture makeovers, this is the perfect product for you. In this post, we’ll discuss what makes this wax different, why it’s so useful, and how to use it in your painted furniture projects.
And if you would like to learn more about all that Dixie Belle Paint Products have to offer read more in this guide: How To Use Dixie Belle Paint.
What is Dixie Belle Best Dang Wax?
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full disclosure policy here.
Dixie Belle Best Dang Wax is a waxy top coat product specifically designed for use with chalk mineral paint. The purpose of this furniture wax is typically to add a beautiful protective layer to your painted furniture pieces. But colored options are also available to accent, highlight and create an aged effect.
The wax has a smooth consistency and is easy to apply with a brush or cloth. It is also water-repellent and offers long-lasting durability to your projects.
Dixie Belle makes other wax products besides the Best Dang Wax. They make gilding wax, which is a highly pigmented metallic wax for accenting. There are Chameleon Waxes which are a type of gilding wax that add sheen and enhance colors.
And finally, they make Big Mama’s Butta which is a special type of wax product that we’ll talk about in another post. But for now, let’s focus on the Best Dang Wax.
Oh, and there is also a spray wax version by Dixie Belle, called Easy Peasy Spray Wax.
Dixie Belle Best Dang Wax Colors
Dixie Belle Best Dang Wax comes in a variety of colors Each hue is specially designed to complement your chalk mineral paint, amplifying the beauty and depth of your chosen color. Here are the colors available:
I mostly use the white, brown and black waxes. Clear is great for adding a protective topcoat, but I mostly use the clear coats and Gator Hide for most projects. We’ll discuss Chalk Paint Topcoat Wax Versus Poly later in this post.
What Makes Best Dang Wax Different?
There are a few key features that set Dixie Belle Best Dang wax apart from other waxes on the market.
- First, its smooth consistency makes it incredibly easy to work with and ensures a flawless finish.
- Second, its water-repellent properties make it ideal for use on furniture pieces that may be exposed to moisture or spills.
- And finally, it is a water-based wax, designed to work with their chalk mineral paints and other water-based paint products.
Most waxes on the market are oil-based. But Dixie Belle Best Dang Wax is water based and this makes it so much easier to incorporate into your paint products. Oil-based products can be finicky to work around and this wax for sure solves that issue.
How To Use Dixie Belle Best Dang Wax
Dixie Belle Best Dang wax can be used in a variety of ways to achieve different effects on your painted furniture. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Apply clear wax over your chalk mineral painted furniture or home décor to protect, enrich and add a subtle sheen.
- For an antiqued or distressed look, use a dark-colored wax like brown or black and gently rub it into the edges, corners and crevices of your painted furniture.
- To create your own colored wax, mix some chalk paint into clear wax. This is how to create just the colored wax you need.
- White and Gray waxes lend to a coastal, French Country or Weathered look to a painted project.
So you see, Dixie Belle wax is more than just a protective topcoat and sealant. It can be used to add a decorative effect to painted projects.
Dixie Belle Wax Versus Clear Coat
Okay, next up let’s tackle this big question of whether you should go for Dixie Belle Best Dang Wax or a Clear Coat as your choice to seal and protect your next project.
Well there are some pretty big difference, so I’ll highlight those below:
- Wax is solid and needs to be brushed or rubbed on, followed by rubbing off excess and buffing with a soft cloth. Clear Coat is liquid and can be brushed, rolled, or sprayed on. Let it dry and you are done – no buffing
- Wax has one sheen available. It will enhance slightly the color of the paint. Clear Coat is available in several sheens: flat, satin and glass. This provides a little more versatility, depending on your preference
- Wax is generally less durable in the long run compared to Poly topcoats. Clear Coats by Dixie Belle are poly topcoats. And 2-3 coats of a poly topcoat offer the upmost protection for your painted furniture
- Clear Coats cure dry very fast, no buffing needed. Waxes need to be buffed. Clear Coats would be expected to cure faster.
How To Use Dixie Belle Best Dang Wax
Well, now that you’ve learned that this water-based wax is a great option to seal painted furniture you may be wondering how to apply it.
The good news is that this wax is so very simple and easy to use. It is a simple as wiping the wax on and buffing it
So, first all you paint your furniture and let it dry thoroughly. Then once the piece is dry, apply the wax with a lint-free cloth or a wax brush. Wax brushes are usually thick, dense and with natural bristles.
After the wax is on let it set in a bit, at least 30 minutes.
Then use a soft cloth that is lint-free like an old t-shirt to remove excess and then buff it to a sheen.
Can You Paint Over Chalk Paint Wax?
Many people wonder if you can paint over a waxed piece? Well, usually the answer would be no because waxes are usually oil-based. Since chalk mineral paints are water-based, they would not go well over oil-based wax. It would interfere with the adhesion.
Oil-based waxes generally need to be removed in order for chalk paints to be applied. They should be removed with a product like mineral spirits. Then once the piece is rinsed the new chalk paint can be applied.
However, with Dixie Belle Best Dang Wax, it is so much simpler! Remember that the Best Dang Waxes are water-based. Therefore, you can apply a water-based paint like Dixie Belle Chalk Paints or Dixie Belle Silk directly over Best Dang Wax!
Wax Decorative Finish
Lastly, don’t overlook Best Dang Wax in colors for accenting painted furniture. Using a dark or white wax can add a really cool decorative effect.
These colored waxes work great to add antiquing, aging, weathered effects. The effects are perfect for particular styles like rustic, farmhouse, French country, coastal and more.
Summary: Dixie Belle Best Dang Wax
In conclusion, Dixie Belle Best Dang Wax is more than just a finishing product; it’s a game-changer in the world of painted furniture makeovers. Because it is a water-based wax it blends seamlessly with chalk mineral paints and other water-based paint products.
This feature offers flexibility with adding decorative accents and features to your painted furniture projects. Especially when you opt for using colored waxes to create stunning and unique furniture transformations.
Whether you’re an experienced furniture artist or just starting their first project, this wax could be your new best friend. So, don’t hesitate to give it a try!
Remember, the best part about a furniture makeover project is making it your own. So, don’t be afraid to experiment and paint and decorate your furniture to suit your style.