In the realm of painted furniture refinishing, paint choice plays a pivotal role. Today, we bring into focus two popular options: Dixie Belle Chalk Mineral Paint and Dixie Belle Silk Paint. Both of these paints are made by the same company and both are great options for your next furniture makeover. But there are some differences between the two products. So, let’s dive into the characteristics, differences, and best uses of these two great paint products. In this post, we’ll compare Dixie Belle’s Silk Paint Versus Chalk Mineral Paint
And if you would like to learn more about all that Dixie Belle Paint Products have to offer read more in this post – How To Use Dixie Belle Paint.
What is Dixie Belle Paint?
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases. Find my full disclosure policy here.
Dixie Belle Paint is a leading player in the furniture paint game. They are well-known for their high-quality and easy-to-use products.
The company’s paints and other products are designed specifically for refinishing furniture, but can also be used on other types of home décor projects.
Their products provide an effective and efficient way to give a fresh look to old or worn-out pieces.
Here are some notable features of Dixie Belle Paints:
- Ease of Use: Dixie Belle Paints are known to be self-leveling and require minimal prep work. They are therefore suitable for beginners and experienced furniture painters.
- Variety: The company offers a wide range of colors and finishes, providing limitless possibilities for customization. Also they provide other products to enhance furniture refinishing, from decoupage papers, glazes, transfers and more.
- Quality: Dixie Belle Paints are known for their superior coverage and durability. These features ensure that your finished piece will stand the test of time.
- Environmentally Friendly: All Dixie Belle paints are non-toxic and virtually odorless with low VOCs, making them safe to use indoors and better for the environment.
What Makes Chalk Mineral Paint And Silk Paint Similar
- They are both top-notch quality paint products
- Made by the same company
- Environmentally Friendly – Low Odor, Low VOCs, safe to use indoors and on children’s furniture
- Have self-leveling properties for a beautifully smooth finish
- Leave a durable paint products helping your painted furniture last longer
- Water-based paint products. They clean up well with soap and water and both.
- Interact well with all other products in the Dixie Belle Paint Company Line.
What Makes Chalk Mineral Paint and Silk Paint Different
- Probably the biggest difference is that Silk Paint is an all-in-one paint product. This means that Silk Paint is three product in one – a primer, the paint, and a topcoat. Whereas Chalk Mineral Paint is just paint, no primer and no topcoat.
- Preparation required to paint furniture: While neither product requires extensive prep, Silk Paint does call for a bit more. We’ll talk more about that later. But while Chalk Mineral Paint can be a no prep or low-prep, Silk Paint goes on better after a minimum of a scuff sanding.
- Application: Both products are super easy to use and go on beautifully. But Chalk Mineral Paint often spreads easier with a misting bottle or a damp brush, whereas Silk Paint does not need any water. In fact they recommend against misting or adding water. And Silk Paint does better with synthetic brushes only.
- Sheen: Chalk Mineral Paint tends to be a more matte finish, but not as chalky as other furniture chalk paint brands. Silk Paint, on the other hand has a slight sheen, more of an eggshell finish. It is stunning really.
- Colors Available: At this time there are so many more colors available in the regular Chalk Mineral Paint line by Dixie Belle. However, Silk Paint is coming out with more colors in the future.
- Ability To Distress And Blend: Both products can be used for a distressed or blended finish. But, regular Chalk Mineral Paint is much more amenable to both distressed looks and blending when compared to Silk Paint. Silk Paint does beautifully for single or block color painted furniture pieces.
- Durability: When used alone, meaning no other products added, Silk Paint is more durable. Because of it’s built-in topcoat it offers great long-lasting finishes that stand up to wear and tear. Chalk Mineral Paint requires a topcoat or sealant in order to match that durability. See Protect And Seal Painted Furniture for more details.
Learn More About Silk Paint And How To Use Silk Paint
Now that we’ve reviewed some of the main similarities and differences between these two products, you may want to learn more about Silk Paint.
Don’t get me wrong, I love and use both the regular Chalk Mineral Paint and the Silk Paint line. There are so many gorgeous colors available of both. However, my go-to is often Silk Paint. I have used it enough to know that it truly hold up to it’s boasting about the silky, smooth painting process and durability.
Furniture Makeovers Featuring Dixie Belle Silk Paint
- Silk Paint For Furniture: Inspiring Makeover Roundup
- Silk Midnight Green Dresser
- Silk Paint Deep Seas Makeover
- Silk Green Painted Table
- Side Table Makeover Serenity & Gold Accents
- White Painted End Tables
- Glass Bead Gel Table & Chair Makeover Black with gold
- Vintage Vanity Makeover
- Silk Paint Hampton Olive
- Silk Paint And Decoupage
- Laminate Hutch Makeover
I hope you enjoy checking out these makeovers featuring various colors of Dixie Belle Silk Paint. I love so many of the colors, but some of my favorites are Anchor, Hampton Olive, Deep Sea, and Salt Water.
Oh and of course I also love Silk Midnight Green. It is a stunning truly gorgeous green paint color.
Summary: Chalk Mineral Paint Versus Silk Paint
Overall, you see that both Chalk Mineral Paint and Silk Paint offer unique benefits and potential to transform your furniture makeovers. And each paint type has its distinct character and charm, giving you options for your desired finish in your projects.
So, as you prepare for your next furniture painting project, don’t hesitate to explore these paint options. Whether it’s the opulent Silk Midnight Green or the Classic Silk Anchor or Chalk Mineral Paint’s Caviar or Evergreen, each color can bring a new life to your space.
It’s wonderful to have so many options when choosing your paint products. And you can’t go wrong with either of these fabulous paint lines by Dixie Belle. Happy painting!